I’m a junkie. I love potato chips, lime doritos or any salty crunchy snacks. But since I was on another perpetual diet I decided to make a healthier alternative to those store bought junk food. I did some research on the net and came up with my own recipe for garlic parmesan pita chips. I can’t believe how delicious they turned out. The only problem was I couldn’t stop eating them and that sure didn’t help my diet at all!
1. There aren’t many choices for pita in Manila but I’m quite satisfied with the pita pockets of Village Gourmet. These are available in most supermarkets. I’m still looking for whole wheat pita. Does anyone know where I can buy those in Manila?
4. You will need the best evoo, salt, freshly ground pepper and parmesan cheese. Bring out your best ingredients for this because you will really taste it on the pita chips. If you have special sea salt or fleur de sel that you’ve been keeping for a special recipe, this is the time to use it.
6. Brush the olive oil mixture on the pita chips. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake it at 350 F or 180 C for 5 to 7 minutes. Monitor these in the oven because they burn easily. You have the option of flipping the triangles and returning them to the oven to brown the other side. I did this with the first few batches but for the rest I just baked one side and they still turned out good.
7. All ovens have different hot spots. My oven browned the middle pita chips faster than the ones on the sides. If this happens to you simply remove the brown ones first and return the baking sheet to the oven until the rest are the same color.
Garlic Parmesan Pita Chips
6 pcs. pita pockets
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper, freshly ground
3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Split the pita into two then cut it into 6 triangles. Place triangles on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Put the the mashed garlic into a bowl and add the olive oil. Let it infuse for at least 30 minutes. Add the salt and pepper to the oil in the bowl.
Brush each triangle with oil mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy. Watch carefully, as they tend to burn easily! Let cool before eating.
Other flavor combinations:
– just salt & pepper
– cumin & garlic
– dried basil, dried chevril
– Italian seasoning & paprika