I ate at Lugang Cafe too often last year specially in September, my birthday month. I went cold turkey and stopped going there for a while.
When my mom’s cousin Judie and hubby Rome came home for a visit from Las Vegas and specifically requested to eat at Lugang Cafe I knew it was time to go back.
I liked the smokey tasting chicken specially all the lovely fried shallots on top that were so aromatic. It was a bit oily though. My mom likes the chicken topped with scallion & ginger oil more.
Hong Kong style aroma salted chicken P490
The squid was perfectly crisp yet tender. The sauce was sweeter than I expected and it reminded me of lemon chicken. As much as I loved the squid I think I will order their salt and pepper version instead. I’m not too fond of sweet food. That’s strictly reserved for dessert.
honey garlic squid P320
I made a list of my favorite dishes from Lugang Cafe so you can print it out or copy it into your cellphone for quick access. And I did order these four dishes for this dinner and needless to say our balikbayan guests enjoyed them very much. For pictures of all the dishes below click here.
What I always order in Lugang Cafe (MUST)
- Pork Xiao Long Bao (best in Manila IMHO)
- Taiwanese Stewed Minced Pork
- Beef With Chinese Crullers
- Soft Tofu & Mushroom In Abalone Sauce (my super duper favorite)
- Steamed Lapu Lapu with Crispy Tauso
- String Beans With Salted Egg or Minced Pork
- Mixed Mushroom With X.O Sauce
- Spicy Garlic Fish In Clay Pot
- Enoki Mushroom, Radish & Fish Cake Soup (try this!!)
- Pan Fried Dumplings
- Mango and/or Peanut Butter Shaved Ice
Since the dishes are small you can order all of these!! There are many more but these are my absolute favorites. What are your favorites at Lugang Cafe?